Ferguson TE20 tractor
Model: TE 20
Made In: Coventry
Engine Size: 2088 cc
No of Cylinders: Four
During WW2 The Standard Motor Company had operated on behalf of the
Government a new "shadow" factory making aero engines. This 1,000,000 sq
ft (92.903 sq m) plant in Banner Lane, Coventry, stood idle once the war
had ended and Standard's managing director Sir John Black was anxious to
find a use for it. Such a large empty factory was also of interest to
Harry Ferguson and a deal was struck between the two. As usual Ferguson
was to be in charge of design, development, sales and service while
Standard Motor Company made the tractors for him.
The first product of the new "alliance" was the TE20 (TE = Tractor
England) and the first one came off the Banner Lane production line on
the 6 July 1946. The little grey Fergie as it became known was a
milestone, not only for Ferguson but agriculture in general.
versions used an imported American engine (the 1966cc Continental Z-120)
but once the 2088 cc unit being developed for the Standard Vanguard car
became available in September 1947 this was fitted instead, exclusively
so from July 1948. Although only 315 of the TE20's were built in the
first year of production, by the time the last one was produced in 1956
a total of 517,651 (including variants) had been built. This was a sign
of its great popularity and even to day many TE20s are still in use.
The TE20 in the museum was the last TVO Tractor produced at
Coventry and uniquely was the last tractor Harry Ferguson drove.